The Observatory on Radicalisation and Violent Extremism (OSR) and the Philosophy, Education and Society (PES) group launched a joint programme aimed at countering and defusing extremist discourse leading to violence: the Forum jeunesse — Penser la démocratie autrement [Youth Forum – Thinking Democracy Differently].
Each year, a different theme is suggested to stimulate discussion and democratic political participation among young people in their final years of high school or CEGEP. The initiative seeks to support ethics and religious culture teachers in high school and philosophy teachers at the college level. It also aims to equip them in their integration of issues related to political extremism in the classroom.
Read below to find out which themes were adopted since the launch of the project in 2015 in order to stimulate debate among young people:
- 2019-2020 : Is our era a time for dreaming?
- 2018-2019 : Identities, freedom and Political Violence
- 2017-2018 : Integration, discrimination and Political Violence
- 2016-2017 : Media, Propaganda and Radicalization
- 2015-2016 : Online Radicalization and Violent Extremism
ANNUAL YOUTH FORUM ROLL-OUT
Every school year, the Youth Forum – Thinking Democracy Differently is divided into three (3) distinct stages: :
- Use by teaching staff, in the manner deemed appropriate, of the various thematic toolkits provided;
- Organization of a conference with experts and in collaboration with the project administrators (OSR and PES) ; and
- Participation of students in a large youth forum at the end of the school year.